RESCUED FROM BOKO HARAM: A Nigerian Soldier Recounts Experience


Says: “I Held On To God’s Word As Declared By Bishop Oyedepo”
 With the Nigerian Military Command and Control Centre (MCCC) relocated to Maiduguri, Borno State and the renewed commitment of the international community to assist the government to end insurgency, the nation will soon heave a sigh of relief.
However, Matthew Ayodele Fagbero has just returned from the bedrock of the yet-to-be-abated insurgency, giving thanks and praise to God Almighty for sparing his life in mysterious circumstances. This Physiotherapy technician who hails from Ogun State joined the Army in December 1989, and has served in ECOMOG - Liberia and Sierra Leone, Niger Delta militancy and Boko Haram operations.

HIS SPIRITUAL ROOT…
An Usher in this Commission, the Muslim-turned-Deacon who spoke to FT News recently during the Faith Tabernacle Ushers’ annual Love Feast, is emphatic about the Supernatural as his natural realm of operation: “To survive these operations is not a matter of being special or smart; it's just that God has a plan. I saw God's hand in action during the Boko Harm operations because, it was the same route that I followed and escaped that many followed but did not survive”.

WARRING WITH PROPHECIES… (1Tim.1:18)
He quotes Bishop Oyedepo as saying that children of this commission are not permitted to die young and holds on to this word every time and confesses it knowing that, when the prophet of God speaks and is believed, it will come to pass. But knowing full well that faith without work is dead, this Soldier, alongside others, also became a soldier for Christ, even in the heat of the insurgency: “We erected an altar in the bush to serve God. We prayed and fasted together, even unbelievers gave their lives to Christ there and when the tragedy happened, all of us survived it, God kept us.”

A BULLET MEANT FOR ME LANDED ON THE DASHBOARD…
The Bible in Psalm 34:19 says “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all.” How was this born-again soldier able to escape from the attacks of Boko Haram?
We were at a town bordering the Republic of Niger when this incident occurred on January 3rd 2015.  I fasted and prayed between 30th and 31st December 2014 and anointed myself. So, that day the insurgents were firing all-round and there was pandemonium. Our vehicle was trying to escape and I quickly jumped in, unknowingly we were headed for the insurgents’ base. On sighting us coming, they resumed shooting at us. A bullet came in through the windscreen right in my direction and then fell on the dashboard.”

ANOTHER BULLET CAME IN AND CUT OFF MY COLLEAGUE’S EAR!
According to him, it almost looked like this was the end, but as it turned out, God had (and always have) a better plan. “I quickly told the driver to take another direction and escape but he was hesitant, before he knew it, another bullet came in and cut off his ear and he stopped and I said to him “don’t stop" but he refused. I heard the sound of the Boko Haram insurgents on motorcycles. I opened the door and just when I was about getting off, he moved the vehicle on top speed, and I fell on my back. I just continued to run into the bush with some civilians and then noticed that my left leg was getting weaker. At first my colleagues tried to assist me but could not continue to carry me and they left. I was alone, 'managing' myself.”

GOD WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS…AND IS NEVER LATE!
According to his testimony, what happened next was a manifestation of Exodus 23:27, “I will send my terror before you and will throw into confusion all the people against whom you shall come, and I will make all your enemies turn their backs to you” or how else does one describe this?  “Later in the evening, I heard the sound of the insurgents on motorcycles. I hid myself in a little shrub. They came back again about three to four times and later they were moving round and I was seeing them but they were not seeing me. I had to wait for nightfall before and I walked all through that night before God rescued me from that bush. Suddenly, a motorcycle came from nowhere and took me to safety. On getting home, I went for x-ray and found that a nerve had been affected.”
Currently recuperating, Matthew Fagbenro is married and blessed with two children.





No comments

Theme images by cmisje. Powered by Blogger.